Learn how to make the best air fryer chicken legs that are super crispy on the outside and perfectly juicy on the inside. Made with simple ingredients like chicken legs, olive oil, and simple seasonings, this air fryer recipe takes only 20 minutes to prepare and cook.
Super easy to make with only 5 minutes of prep, these succulent air fryer chicken drumsticks are great for meal prep and can be paired with many delicious side dishes to create a complete meal.
I love chicken recipes since they cook super quickly and taste incredibly delicious. This recipe for air fryer chicken legs and my oven-baked chicken breast, chicken coconut curry, and bruschetta chicken are probably some of the best chicken recipes I have ever tried.
- 1 Reasons For Loving This Air Fryer Chicken Legs Recipe
- 2 How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Legs?
- 3 Step-by-step Instructions
- 4 Seasonings And Spices For Maximum Flavor
- 5 Tips For Making The Best Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- 6 Storing Ideas
- 7 Serving Ideas
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9 More Chicken Recipes
- 10 Air Fryer Chicken Legs
Reasons For Loving This Air Fryer Chicken Legs Recipe
- You can make them ahead of time.
- Requires only 10 minutes of prep.
- You can pair them with many side dishes recipes for a complete meal.
- It’s a customizable recipe; feel free to add your favorite seasonings.
- Made from easy-to-find ingredients.
- Has crispy and flavorful skin.
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Legs?
This recipe for air fryer chicken legs is one of the easiest dinner recipes since it requires only a few easy-to-find ingredients.
Here is a list of everything you will need:
- Chicken Drumsticks – you will need bone-in, skin-on chicken drumsticks that are similar in size.
- Olive Oil – feel free to replace it with any other vegetable oil.
- Salt&Pepper – to taste.
- Garlic Powder – you can use fresh minced garlic for an intense flavor.
- Paprika – use smoked paprika if you want to obtain a smoky flavor and intense color.
- Chili Powder – you can skip it if you are not a fan of spicy food.
I love this recipe because it’s easy to make and doesn’t require too much time spent in the kitchen. Here is everything you have to do:
Preheat The Air Fryer
Get your air fryer ready by setting the temperature to 400F/200C and spraying the basket with nonstick cooking spray.
Make the Seasoning Mixture
Add the olive oil, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a bowl and whisk until well combined.
Prepare The Chicken Legs
Wash and pat dry the chicken drumsticks(to obtain a crispy skin), then add them to a bowl.
Pour the seasoning mixture over the chicken legs and mix using a silicone spatula until each drumstick is well coated with seasoning.
Cooking In An Air Fryer
Ah, the beauty of cooking with an air fryer! All that delicious flavor and texture without the mess and hassle.
Arrange the seasoned chicken drumsticks in the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook them for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, flip the chicken legs and cook for 10 more minutes until crispy and golden brown or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Remove from the air fryer and enjoy with your favorite side dish.
Seasonings And Spices For Maximum Flavor
The best part of using an air fryer for cooking is the freedom to explore various seasonings and spices with minimal fuss and mess. Whether you prefer classic blends like garlic powder, paprika, and oregano or crave more adventurous tastes like cumin and coriander, there are countless options to give your dishes a mouthwatering twist.
Don’t be afraid to get creative either! If you want something extra special, try mixing together some herbs like rosemary and thyme and sprinkle them over the chicken legs. Not only will this add an amazing aroma, but it’ll also deliver subtle hints of flavor with each bite.
Tips For Making The Best Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- You can marinate the chicken legs for about 30 minutes to let the flavors enhance.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray to prevent the chicken legs from sticking.
- Make sure you don’t overcook your chicken drumsticks to obtain juicy and crispy chicken thighs, not dried ones.
- Don’t overcrowd your chicken legs in the air fryer basket to ensure they cook evenly.
- Remove the chicken drumsticks from the fridge one hour before cooking them for the best results.
- Fridge – any air fryer chicken legs leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer – You can also freeze these air fryer drumsticks for up to three months.
To Reheat: use the oven to reheat the leftovers at 350F until warmed through.
These air fryer chicken legs are perfectly simple as they are, but if you want to make a complete meal, you can serve them with your favorite side dish. Here are some great ideas:
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long to Cook Chicken Legs in the Air Fryer?
To cook chicken legs in the air fryer, the cooking time may vary depending on the size of the chicken legs and the air fryer model. However, as a general guideline, it usually takes around 20-25 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
Remember to flip the chicken legs halfway through cooking to ensure even browning and crispiness on all sides.
When Can You Tell That The Chicken Legs Are Cooked?
Heck on them regularly throughout cooking; as soon as they hit an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit (74 Celsius), they’re ready to go!
More Chicken Recipes
- BEST Oven-Baked Chicken Breast
- BEST Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken
- Juicy Lemon Pepper Chicken Tenders
Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F/200°C for 5 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and seasonings to a bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken drumsticks, then add them to a bowl.
- Add the seasoning mixture over the chicken legs and mix using a silicone spatula until each drumstick is well coated with seasoning.
- Arrange the seasoned chicken drumsticks in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook them for 10 minutes, flip the chicken legs, and cook for 10 more minutes until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from the air fryer and enjoy with your favorite side dish.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.