This ground beef zucchini boats recipe is a delicious low-carb recipe perfect for summer and a fantastic way to utilize the abundance of zucchini. Bursting with flavors and packed with wholesome ingredients, it’s a delightful dish that will satisfy your taste buds while keeping your carb intake in check.
Imagine tender zucchini boats filled with seasoned ground beef cooked to perfection. The beef is perfectly seasoned with a blend of delicious spices, combined with vibrant tomatoes, aromatic onion, and garlic, all brought together with a savory tomato sauce. This mouthwatering mixture is then generously stuffed inside the zucchini, creating a harmonious blend of flavors and textures.
Loaded with delicious Italian flavors, these ground beef zucchini boats are classic recipes perfect for summer when zucchini is in season.
This stuffed zucchini boats recipe is a winner for both flavor and presentation, so get ready to enjoy one of the best zucchini recipes that you have ever tried.
Topped with a delicious layer of melted cheese, these zucchini boats are baked to perfection, resulting in a mouthwatering dish that will conquer you from the first bite.
Not only is this recipe a flavor sensation, but it’s also a great option for those following a low-carb or keto diet. With the zucchini acting as a nutritious vessel and the absence of carb-heavy fillers, it’s a guilt-free delight that won’t compromise your dietary goals.
- 1 Why Are You Going To Love This Stuffed Zucchini Boats Recipe
- 2 Ingredients Needed
- 3 How To Make This Ground Beef Zucchini Boats
- 4 Tips For Making The Best Ground Beef Zucchini Boats
- 5 Recipe Variations
- 6 Storing Ideas
- 7 Serving Ideas
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9 More Zucchini Recipes
- 10 Ground Beef Zucchini Boats
Why Are You Going To Love This Stuffed Zucchini Boats Recipe
- You can make it ahead of time.
- Super easy to make in just a few minutes.
- Made from healthy and easy-to-find ingredients.
- Loaded with delicious flavors.
- It’s a versatile recipe. Feel free to add your favorite seasoning or vegetables.
- It can be paired with many delicious side dishes.
- A crowd-pleaser. This recipe is perfect for a family weeknight or dinner with friends.
A great thing about this stuffed zucchini with ground beef is that it uses a few easy-to-find ingredients you probably already have in your pantry or garden. So check the following list and prepare the ingredients to create one of the most delicious zucchini recipe.
- Zucchini – These are one of the main ingredients in this recipe, so make sure you use medium and firm zucchini since they are easier to stuff.
- Olive Oil – Used to sautee the onion. Feel free to use any other vegetable oil that you want.
- Onion – you will need one medium onion finely chopped.
- Ground Beef – Use 85% lean meat to avoid that excess fat once it is done cooking.
- Tomato Paste – used to add a deeper and more concentrated tomato flavor.
- Italian Seasoning – used to add a delicious Italian flavor. You can use homemade Italian Seasoning, or you can buy it from the store.
- Garlic Powder – if you want a more intense garlic flavor, use 3 minced garlic cloves instead of garlic powder.
- Salt&Pepper – to taste. Used to enhance all the flavors.
- Tomato Sauce – Gives the ground beef mixture a rich and tangy flavor. Ensure you use a sugar-free version to avoid adding extra carbs to this dish.
- Mozzarella Cheese – you can also replace it with your favorite type of cheese.
How To Make This Ground Beef Zucchini Boats
Once you see how easy it is to prepare these delicious ground beef zucchini boats, you will want to make them over and over again when you need a quick dinner recipe. So, here are the instructions that you need to follow:
Preparing The Zucchini
Wash the zucchini, then cut them lengthwise using a sharp knife. Then scoop out the flesh using a spoon, creating a shell for the meat sauce, and place the zucchini halves on the baking sheet.
MaKing The Ground Beef Mixture
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Then add the ground beef and cook until brown for about 10 minutes breaking it down with a wooden spoon.
Stir in the tomato paste, Italian Seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and mix until well combined.
Then add the tomato sauce, and simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes.
Assemble The Zucchini Boats
It’s time to fill the zucchini boats with the delicious ground beef mixture. Spoon the cooked ground beef mixture into each zucchini boat, evenly distributing it among them. Press the filling gently to ensure it is packed well inside.
Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese or any other desired cheese on top of the stuffed zucchini boats. The cheese will melt and create a gooey, flavorful topping.
Transfer the pan to the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
As it bakes, the zucchini becomes tender, and the cheese melts into golden, bubbly perfection.
Allow the zucchini boats to cool slightly before serving. Garnish with fresh herbs, such as chopped parsley or basil, for an extra pop of color and flavor.
Tips For Making The Best Ground Beef Zucchini Boats
- Choose the right zucchini. When making this recipe, use medium-sized zucchini that are fresh, firm, and free of blemishes since they are easier to stuff and hold their shape while cooking.
- Brown the meat: ensure that you are cooking the ground beef until browned and crumbly to add depth of flavor to the sauce.
- Drain any excess fat: let the ground beef mixture rest for a couple of minutes before stuffing the zucchini boats with it, and drain any excess fat to prevent the zucchini boats from becoming too greasy.
- Don’t overcook: Keep an eye on the baking time to ensure the zucchini boats cooks until tender and don’t become too soft or mushy.
- Don’t overfill the zucchini boats. This is an important tip to keep in mind since the filling may spill out and make the boats unstable during the baking.
- You can replace ground beef with Italian sausage, ground pork, turkey, or even ground chicken.
- Feel free to replace the shredded mozzarella cheese with cheddar or feta cheese.
- You can add your favorite veggies to the sauce, such as bell peppers, celery, or mushrooms.
- Top the zucchini boats with some crumbled crispy bacon for extra flavor and a crunchy texture.
- Fridge: These delicious baked ground beef zucchini boats can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: I don’t recommend freezing these stuffed zucchini since they get super soggy once thawed. However, you can make the ground beef filling ahead and freeze it until you are ready to stuff your zucchini.
- Reheating: Place the zucchini boats in the oven or the air fryer and reheat them until warm.
There are many delicious options when it comes to serving these ground beef zucchini boats. Here are some serving ideas that will help you to create a complete meal:
- Cauliflower Rice
- Coleslaw Salad Recipe
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Green Bean Casserole
- BEST Antipasto Salad
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make This Recipe In Advance?
Sure, you can prepare these ground beef zucchini boats in advance. Then, after hollowing out the zucchini and preparing the filling, you can store them separately in the fridge. Then, when you’re ready to bake, simply fill the zucchini boats with the ground beef filling and follow the steps from this recipe.
How Do I Know When The Zucchini Boats Are Cooked?
The zucchini are cooked when tender but still hold their shape. You can check the doneness by punching the zucchini with a fork, and if it easily slides through the flesh, then the zucchini are cooked.
Can I Use A Different Type Of Squash Instead Of Zucchini?
Yes, feel free to use other types of summer squash, like yellow squash or pattypan squash, as substitutes for zucchini in this recipe since they have similar textures.
More Zucchini Recipes
Ground Beef Zucchini Boats
- 4 small zucchini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 360F/180C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the zucchini, then cut them lengthwise. Then scoop out the flesh, creating a shell for the meat sauce, and place the zucchini halves on the baking sheet.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, add the chopped onion, and cook until tender. Add the ground beef and cook until brown for about 10 minutes breaking it down with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the tomato paste and seasonings and mix until well combined.
- Then add the tomato sauce, and simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Spoon the ground beef mixture into zucchini boats and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer the pan to the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.