Learn how to make juicy instant pot shredded chicken that’s loaded with flavor. Made with just 5 ingredients, it’s the best way to prepare shredded chicken that’s super versatile.
Did you ever happen to find some interesting recipe that calls for shredded chicken and not having it in the house? Well, it happened to me, and that got me here trying to make shredded chicken at home, and it turned out extremely delicious.
This Instant Pot Shredded Chicken saves me so much time during the week, knowing I have it ready for use in various lunch and dinner recipes.
It’s perfect for preparing meals since it’s a weekly staple in my house. So you can use it to make cordon bleu casserole, sandwiches, salads, and many other interesting recipes!
- 1 Why Are You Going To Love This Recipe
- 2 What Is Shredded Chicken?
- 3 What Chicken to Use for Shredded Chicken
- 4 Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Ingredients
- 5 How To Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 6 Seasoning the Chicken Breast
- 7 Cooking The Chicken
- 8 Tips For Making The Best Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 9 How To Use Shredded Chicken
- 10 Storing Ideas
- 11 Frequently Asked Questions
- 12 More Chicken Recipes
- 13 Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Why Are You Going To Love This Recipe
- Easy to make.
- Perfect for making it ahead of time.
- It’s a versatile recipe. You can use it to prepare many delicious recipes.
- Ready in only 15 minutes.
- Made with simple and naturally low-carb ingredients.
What Is Shredded Chicken?
Shredded chicken (or pulled chicken) is a quick, versatile, and delicious way to cook chicken breast that everyone should know how to make. It can be used in many recipes, from casseroles, soups, and salads, to wraps and pizzas – yet so many of us have trouble and don’t know exactly how to make shredded chicken.
The Instant Pot makes it easy to cook the chicken quickly and evenly, resulting in tender, juicy, and perfectly shredded meat that can be used in a multitude of dishes.
It’s a great recipe for meal prep because it can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days or used right away in your favorite recipes.
What Chicken to Use for Shredded Chicken
When choosing chicken for shredded chicken, you can use any type of boneless, skinless chicken for shredded chicken. Chicken breasts and thighs are the most commonly used cuts, as they are lean and easy to work with.
To save time, sometimes I use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, canned chicken, or leftover cooked chicken for shredding. These options are already cooked, so you will only need to shred them and add seasoning, making them a great option for quick and easy meals.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Ingredients
You will need only 5 ingredients you probably already have in your pantry to make this flavorful shredded chicken. So here is a list with everything you will need to make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken.
- Chicken Breast – For the best results, use boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Chicken Broth – you can also use vegetable broth.
- Seasonings – I used a basic blend of seasonings: garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. These add more flavor and complexity to the basic shredded chicken.
- Salt and Pepper – pay attention to the amount of salt that you are using since the chicken broth is quite salty.
How To Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
You will be surprised to see how easy it is to prepare this shredded chicken. Follow the next steps and enjoy one of the juiciest shredded chicken recipes.
Seasoning the Chicken Breast
Start seasoning the chicken breast with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika to add more flavor to the chicken.
Cooking The Chicken
Pour chicken broth or water into the Instant Pot, and place the chicken in the Instant Pot. Be sure to arrange the chicken in a single layer, with as little overlap as possible, to ensure even cooking.
Close the lid and set the pressure release valve to the “Sealing” position. Select the “Manual” setting from the menu. Set the time for cooking for ten minutes.
The Instant Pot will take several minutes to come to pressure before the cooking time begins.
Once the cooking cycle is complete, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then turn the pressure release valve to the “Venting” position to release any remaining pressure.
Remove the pressure cooker from the instant pot and shred the chicken into small pieces with two forks.
Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Shredding The Chicken – 3 Ways
- Using a fork:
- Place the cooked chicken on a cutting board or plate.
- Hold the chicken in place with a fork in one hand.
- Use another fork to gently pull the chicken apart, shredding it into small pieces.
- Continue shredding the chicken until it is all pulled apart to your desired consistency.
- Using a stand mixer:
- Place the cooked chicken in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and let it run for 30-60 seconds, until the chicken is shredded to your desired consistency.
- Be careful not to overmix the chicken, as it can become too fine and lose its texture.
- Using a knife: Cut your chicken into bite-size pieces with a knife. It will work as well in any recipe you want to make.
Tips For Making The Best Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Use enough liquid: Ensure enough liquid in the Instant Pot to prevent the chicken from drying out. A general rule of thumb is to use 1/2 to 1 cup of liquid per pound of chicken.
- Add more flavor: Use fresh minced garlic, onion, smoked paprika, or Italian Seasoning. You can also use different liquids like salsa, barbecue sauce, or beer to give your chicken a unique flavor.
- Drain if serving right away, or store with the broth to retain moisture.
- Shred the chicken while it’s still warm – it’s much easier.
- You can save the chicken broth and use it for stews or soups.
How To Use Shredded Chicken
I love cooking chicken breast this way since it can be used for many recipes. Here are some great ideas:
- Tacos: Use the shredded chicken as a filling for tacos, along with toppings like shredded cheese, lettuce, avocado, and salsa.
- Sandwiches: Pile the shredded chicken onto a roll of bread, along with your favorite sandwich fixings like lettuce, tomato, and mayo.
- Salads: Add the shredded chicken to a salad for a protein boost, along with your favorite vegetables and dressing.
- Soups and stews: Use the shredded chicken in soups and stews for a hearty and flavorful addition.
- Pasta dishes: Toss the shredded chicken with cooked pasta and your favorite sauce for a quick and easy dinner.
- Casseroles: Use the shredded chicken as a base for casseroles, along with vegetables, cheese, and other ingredients.
- Wraps: Roll the shredded chicken in a tortilla, lettuce, or wrap, along with your favorite veggies and condiments.
- Fridge – You can store the shredded chicken leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freezer – You can also store the leftovers in the freezer once they are completely cool. Put them in a freezer-safe bag and store them for up to two months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make This Recipe With Frozen Chicken?
Sure, you can also use frozen chicken for this recipe, but you will need to know that you will have to cook it for a longer time (15 minutes are enough).
Can I Make This Recipe With Chicken Thighs?
Sure, you can make this recipe with any piece of meat you like. But, you have to know that the time of cooking will change.
Can I Make Shredded Chicken Recipe In a Crock-Pot?
Sure, add the seasoned chicken breasts to the crock pot, then pour the chicken broth and cook on low for six hours or high for 3-4. Then, take out and shred while it’s warm.
Can I Make Shredded Chicken On Stovetop?
Place the chicken breasts in a skillet over medium heat, then pour in one to two cups of chicken broth (enough to cover the chicken) and bring to a boil.
Once it starts to boil, reduce to low heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes, then shred your chicken.
More Chicken Recipes
- Juicy Lemon Pepper Chicken Tenders
- One-Pan Creamy Parmesan Garlic Mushroom Chicken
- Cajun Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Crispy Baked Keto Chicken Nuggets
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 4 lb Chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- Season the chicken breast with garlic powder, paparka, salt, and black pepper.
- Place the chicken into the instant pot (without trivet), then pour the chicken broth around the sides of the chicken.
- Close the lid and select the "Manual" or Pressure Cookie setting from the menu and set the time to 10-12 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of the chicken.
- Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then do a quick release.
- Unplug the pressure cooker, drain half of the chicken broth and use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Transfer the shredded chicken to an airtight container and store it in the fridge until ready to use it.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.