This keto strawberry ice cream recipe is extremely easy to make with just 5 ingredients and 10 minutes of prep. Learn how to make the best low-carb keto strawberry ice cream that’s rich, creamy, and loaded with fresh strawberries.
Sugar-free strawberry ice cream is a refreshing summer treat that everyone loves. Although we find many versions in any supermarket, none of them compare to the homemade one!
You’ll definitely impress everyone with a low carb summer frozen treat made with fresh strawberries, cream, and sour cream.
Strawberries are in full season, and we must take advantage of their delicious flavor.
So, today we decided to show you how to make keto strawberry ice cream that’s perfect on a hot day.
- 1 Why Are You Going To Love This Keto Strawberry Ice Cream
- 2 Is Ice Cream Keto Friendly?
- 3 What Is A Keto Strawberry Ice Cream?
- 4 Keto Strawberry Ice Cream Ingredients
- 5 How To Make Keto Strawberry Ice Cream
- 6 Freezing
- 7 Using An Ice Cream Maker
- 8 Tips For Making The Best Keto Strawberry Ice Cream
- 9 Flavor Variations
- 10 Storing Ideas
- 11 Frequently Asked Questions
- 12 Keto Strawberry Ice Cream
Why Are You Going To Love This Keto Strawberry Ice Cream
- Only 3g net carbs per serving.
- Super easy to make with just 5 ingredients.
- Requires no egg or ice cream maker
- Super versatile and can be customized with your favorite flavors.
- Tastes just like regular strawberry ice cream
Is Ice Cream Keto Friendly?
Most ice cream on the market is not keto-friendly. Ice cream is loaded with sugar and other ingredients that are not keto compliant. However, you can eat ice cream on a keto diet if you make a few adjustments.
Even on a keto diet, you’ll have to swap out a few ingredients, and you get to enjoy your favorite ice cream flavor this summer. We replace the sugar with low carb sweetener to help you stay in ketosis.
What Is A Keto Strawberry Ice Cream?
Keto strawberry ice cream is a luscious dessert that offers a delightful taste experience. Made with fresh, ripe strawberries, this creamy ice cream has a vibrant pink hue and a sweet, fruity aroma that is sure to whet your appetite.
The texture is smooth and velvety, with a cool, refreshing feel on your tongue that provides a perfect balance to the sweetness of the strawberries.
Unlike traditional ice cream, this keto version is low in carbs and sugar, making it an excellent option for those who follow a low-carb or keto diet.
Whether enjoyed as a treat after a meal or as a midday snack, this delicious ice cream is a guilt-free indulgence that will satisfy your sweet tooth.
Keto Strawberry Ice Cream Ingredients
You will need only five ingredients to make this homemade keto strawberry ice cream. Here is everything you will need:
- Strawberries – fresh strawberries are the best for this recipe, but if you can find any, you can easily use frozen ones.
- Sweetener – always use powdered sweetener for this recipe to mix well into the mixture. I used Monk Fruit Sweetener.
- Sour Cream – to make dairy-free ice cream, you can use canned coconut cream.
- Vanilla Extract – Vanilla extract, in my opinion, should be used in any dessert recipe because it has a flavor that everyone enjoys.
- Heavy Cream – this ingredient makes the ice cream extra creamy!
- Cream Cheese
- Vodka is optional but makes the ice cream super smooth, and creamy and prevents it from getting too hard. It also makes it scoopable.
How To Make Keto Strawberry Ice Cream
I haven’t bought any ice cream from the store since I discovered this recipe, and I’m sure you’ll do the same when you see how easy and delicious it is. So here is everything you have to do:
Preparing the Strawberries
Start with fresh ripe strawberries. Wash them under cold running water and pat them dry with a paper towel.
Remove the stems and leaves from the strawberries using a sharp knife. You can also use a strawberry huller to do this.
Making The Keto Strawberry Ice Cream
Add the strawberries and sweetener to a food processor and blend until well combined and some chunks of strawberries remain in the mixture.
Incorporate the sour cream, softened cream cheese, and vanilla extract until there are no lumps.
Whip the heavy cream: In a mixing bowl, mix the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
Fold the whipped cream into the strawberry mixture until just combined. Use a rubber spatula.
Transfer the mixture into an airtight container or to your favorite ice cream molds.
Freeze for at least 6 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. If you’re using an ice cream maker, skip this step.
Using An Ice Cream Maker
If you prefer to make keto strawberry ice cream using an ice cream maker, here are the directions:
- Skip the step of whipping it into stiff peaks and whisk the heavy cream into the strawberry puree and sour cream mixture, along with powdered sweetener. Make sure all ingredients are well combined.
- Refrigerate the mixture until it is fully chilled. It’s recommended to chill it for at least 4 hours or overnight for best results.
- Once the mixture is chilled, transfer it to your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Usually, it takes about 20-25 minutes for the ice cream to reach soft-serve consistency.
- Transfer the churned ice cream to an airtight container and freeze it for at least 2-3 hours, or until it is fully frozen.
- Before serving, let the ice cream sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften. Or, if it’s too hard, you can microwave it for a few seconds to make it more scoopable.
Note: If your ice cream maker has a small capacity, you may need to churn the mixture in batches or adjust the recipe accordingly.
Tips For Making The Best Keto Strawberry Ice Cream
- When whipping heavy cream, make sure it is thoroughly cooled.
- To easily scoop ice cream, run the scoop under hot water to warm it up beforehand.
- Be cautious not to over-whip the heavy cream, as it can turn into butter.
- Line an airtight container with parchment paper to prevent ice cream from sticking and for effortless removal.
- For perfectly scoopable ice cream, remove it from the freezer and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Here are a few variations for keto strawberry ice cream:
- Lemon: Add a teaspoon of lemon zest and a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to the ice cream base before freezing.
- Coconut: Add a few drops of coconut extract for a tropical twist.
- Mint chocolate chip strawberry: Mix in a few drops of peppermint extract and stir in some sugar-free chocolate chips for super refreshing ice cream.
Freezer – store keto ice cream in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you want to serve the keto ice cream, remove it from the freezer and let it sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften. Alternatively, you can microwave it for a few seconds to make it more scoopable.
Keep in mind that keto ice cream may become harder than regular ice cream due to the absence of sugar. If the ice cream is too hard, you can let it sit at room temperature for a few more minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Strawberries Keto Friendly?
Strawberries are one of the most low-carb keto fruits on the market. According to the USDA website, one cup (144g) of fresh strawberries contains only 8 grams of net carbs.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Definitely, that’s why I like ice cream so much. It’s freezer friendly and can be prepared in advance.
Can I Make This Recipe Using Different Fruits?
Yes, you can use blueberries, raspberries, or your favorite combination of berries instead of fresh strawberries.
Do I Need An Ice Cream Maker For This Recipe?
No, another great thing about this recipe is that it can be made using just a food processor without being too complicated.
Can I Make This A Paleo Version Of This Recipe?
Sure, simply replace the heavy cream with whipped coconut cream to make paleo strawberry ice cream, dairy-free ice cream, or vegan ice cream.
Keto Strawberry Ice Cream
- Place the strawberries, powdered sweetener, and vodka (optional) into a food processor. Blend until almost smooth, but a few chunks of strawberries remain.
- Add the strawberry mixture to a large bowl. Add the sour cream, cream cheese, and vanilla extract to the strawberry mixture and whisk until well combined.
- In another large bowl, whip the heavy for about 3 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the strawberry mixture.
- Transfer the ice cream mixture to a freezer container and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours, stirring every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours, then every hour 2-3 more hours after.
How do we calculate the nutrition info?
These nutrition facts listed are determined using nutrition information from the USDA Food Database. Our nutrition facts are accurate, but if you are using different products, please make your calculations. Net carb count is calculated by subtracting both fiber and sugar alcohols because they don’t raise blood sugar.